June 14th – 2:39pm
So today kind of sucked. Last night, I started getting really bad chest pains and lung cramps that made it painful to take deep breaths. I don’t know where they came from. My only idea is that the altitude from yesterdays trail actually got to me. But I didn’t feel this way up on the trail. Well, whatever they are, they make it really difficult to sleep too. It kind of feels like someone is sitting right on my lungs.
Once they started getting bad, I talked to Kerry and told her that I didn’t think I could do the trail for the next day. The trail we had scheduled today for everyone was Loma Redonda, which is another jungle trail that requires you to walk half of Cazapamba before you can even start Loma. Also, I knew that Loma was like 75% steep up-hill and 25% steep down-hill. Apparently, Tabla Chupa is just an appetizer of what Loma is like. So, for safety’s sake, I decided to sit this one out and rest. I did this, because I really want to be healthy to do Paramo on Thursday.
(I really don’t feel like a loser either, because one of the guy volunteers ended up only making it to the 1st Station of Loma and then ended up turning around because of a headache and knee pain.)
So, I had a late start to my day. I decided to start some of the painting in Pucara with the mural at the local store. Kerry said to put slogans on any murals that didn’t have them, so I ended up putting the web address, the species name, and an Andean Bear slogan on the mural. The slogan I painted said, “El oso es nuestro tesoro. Cuidemoslo.” This is one of the three slogans Kerry said I could paint on the murals. I’m not exactly sure what this one means. When I can get my hands on a Spanish dictionary, I’ll figure it out. But the other two, I understand pretty well.
“El oso da vida al bosque. Cuidemoslo.”
– The bear is the life of the forest. Protect it!
“Lo que es bueno para el oso es bueno para nosotros.”
– What is good for the bear is good for everyone.
I finished painting and then made a call to Otavalo to make reservations at a local hostel for Friday Night. This weekend, we’re planning on going to the Otavalo market which is biggest on Saturdays. Apparently, there is an animal market on Saturday morning which is supposed to be quite the cultural experience. Not sure how to take that. I’m looking forward to purchasing some local gifts for everyone at home.
Here’s the plan.
The House is getting a hand-made Otavalo Hammock. Super excited. Hammocks are awesome.
Mom is getting some kind of jewelry or artisanal carving.
Amelia is getting a hand-woven bag or something.
Ben… I’m not sure what to get him… really. Maybe some Coca Tea (which is tea made from the Cocaine Plant). Haha. Just kidding.
Well…
Love and Andean Bears,
Ashley
POST DINNER BLOG!
So, only in the Andean Bear Project does the Volunteer Coordinator leave you a week in to go to Colombia to get an extension on her Visa. Oh, did I mention, she’s leaving us alone for a week.
How do volunteers spend their first night with no volunteer coordinator? We get drunk off of boxed wine and beer while playing drinking games. Haha.
Myself and Sarah drank an entire box of Peach White Wine. It was really gross alone, but if you added Sprite to it, it was pretty good. Dan drank 3 bottles of Ecuadorian beer (which is really like 6 bottles of beer). And Jack, well Jack was a downer, and didn’t drink at all, but acted as if he were drunker than all of us.
I think Jack might be a bit of a stoner, because he talks really slowly and can never complete a sentence when he starts one. He’s also really, really random and brings up the most random ass topics ever (kind of ADD-ish). For someone trying to complete a dissertation, he really has no clue. He makes for some really funny moments though.
“In Otavalo, I think I’m going to get pissed as a cricket…” – Jack
“Hey man. Do you want to open your mouth and I’ll squeeze it in (peanut butter)?” – Jack to Dan
“Never have I ever kissed a guy?” – Dan
”Oh man!” – Jack
”Dude, what?” – Dan
”I offended my gay best friend, so I kissed him… just a peck on the lips though. And I’m totally not gay.” – Jack
HILARIOUS!
We played Mexican Snap, which I wasn’t very good at because of slow reflexes. We also played Circle of Death, F&#* the Dealer, and Up the River/Down the River. It was pretty fun and it was definitely a way to spend the night that didn’t involve us just sitting around.
However, I’m really, really tired, so it’s beddy-bye time!
So…
Love and Andean Bears,
Ashley
No comments:
Post a Comment