June 4, 2011 - 6:21pm
As I write this, I am sitting in the plane taking me to my final destination, Quito and we are currently passing over Florida and about to fly over Key West and Cuba. We are also experiencing a good bit of turbulence.
The reality of what I’m going to be doing for the next month has finally started to settle in and I can’t help but be both excited and nervous. We are supposed to arrive in Quito at 9:50pm, but I believe our flight was delayed due to boarding complications. So, the arrival time is tentative.
So far, the flight can be described in one word: warm! It seemed to take nearly an hour and a half for the AC and fans to kick in. But, who am I to complain? If a warm plane bothers me, how will torrential downpour or scorching heat affect me? It’s just time to suck it up and deal.
I’ve met a couple other young Americans so far, who are all heading for adventure in different parts of Ecuador. I met a guy about my age from Minnesota who is headed to Ecuador on a 3-month-long internship involving eco-tourism on the coast. I also met a female English major who is headed to Quito for a month-long internship involving English education. Another girl about my age is headed to Cuenca to preview an internship she would like to participate in next year.
So far, it seems that Ecuador has a large number of young Americans who flock there during the summer, for internships and traveling. I was honestly surprised by this- I didn’t know Ecuador was a large tourist destination. As well, I’m sitting in a completely full flight- packed in like sardines with not one empty seat anywhere.
Well, that’s all I got for now. More on the flight later. Still have about 3 hours of soaring at 35000 ft, before landing in Quito.
With Love and Andean Bears,
Ashley
No comments:
Post a Comment