Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 18 – Paso Alto

June 21st – 4:32pm

Today started bright and early at 5:00am. The community asked if some volunteers from the Bear House would do a nature walk with some school children from the Intag Region. We, of course, said yes and I was pretty stoked. We were going to be walking through a protected nature preserve called Paso Alto.

We were told it was going to be a super easy hike. They lied. It was like 90 children and a hike straight up to the top of a mountain. They told the library coordinator that it would be easy enough for her to carry her baby the whole way up. Again, they lied. It was a crazy intense hike. I didn’t even make it to the top, because I lost sight of everyone and decided it would be safest just to turn around and meet back up with Carolina (the coordinator) and to help her with the baby. One of the hippy guys, Carl, had been helping her most of the way and when I found them, they knew they wouldn’t make it to the top. So, we all turned around together.

This hike was so hard, I ran out of water. I was so dehydrated, I drank out of an Ecuadorian waterfall. This is something you’re never supposed to do… ever. But I did it and I’m really lucky it didn’t make me sick. My stomach is stronger than I thought.

This was an 8 hour hike with 5 hours of driving too. It was the longest day and I’ve never been so excited to eat Shepherd’s pie and go to bed.

So tired….

Love and Andean Bears,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment